Monday, April 29, 2013

Dancing on the Grid

The Grid. Better yet, the Smart Grid

Traditionally, "grid" is a term used to describe a pathway where energy is collected and distributed.  Today, we are being introduced to the concept of a "smarter grid." A system that not only draws from coal and oil production but now taps into solar energy, hydro energy and wind energy.

I am blessed to live in a community that supports wind energy and solar shingle research. After touring an actual wind farm 5 years ago and following the progress of solar shingles production my quest to learn more was fueled.

What I dream about today is applying those sustainable energy options to our dental profession. I believe we can. Someone has to dream a more sustainable world, why not us? Why can't we imagine a world where individual wind turbines are placed that directly supply energy to our dental buildings? If excess energy is over produced it could be stored or sold back to the Smart Grid. When wind energy is not enough, why couldn't the placement of solar shingles on dental office roof tops supplement our energy needs? We may not be able to fly solo just yet, but we can try to reduce our dependence on coal and oil. A Smart Grid is using what we already have...... better!

What about fueling your "personal grid?" How do you produce, store and redistribute your personal energy?  Had you asked me that question 5 years ago I would have been challenged to answer you. My life didn't show signs of "collecting" energy, it was in the "energy distribution mode" almost 24/7. Thankfully, I have discovered a much loved exercise routine, meditation practice and educational opportunities that really fill me up. What I love most about fueling my personal grid is what pours from me....more compassion, enthusiasm and physical stamina.

So whether you wobble, shuffle, scoot or boogie....just come dance with me along the grid.

No comments:

Post a Comment